Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Quakin...

Okay - My husband and I decided to have a "writing date" at the local Starbucks this afternoon (or as my mom refers to it, my office). He convinced me that I need to get back in the swing of writing so laptop in hand, away we went. I got my tea, started my laptop, pulled up my blog and low and behold - earthquake! I have never felt an earthquake and didn't quite know what I was experiencing... luckily neither did the other sippers around us. It turned out to be a pretty shallow quake about 20 miles from us but it was felt up and down the east coast. I'm going to try and not take it as a sign that as I finally sit down to write - the earth shakes!
I'm tossing around a couple of ideas for articles to submit to a local magazine, working on a short story, and possibly trying my hand at novel writing - I'm hoping to make some headway on these lofty goals in the coming months. This summer my focus has been more on reading and fine tuning my taste in the kinds of 'voices' that I enjoy as a reader. Right now it's Perfection by Julie Metz that's sitting on my nightstand. I just finished Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe and it was the first in a long string of celebrity memoirs that I actually wanted to finish.
Not sure if anyone is even reading this but feel free to give me tips if you'd like to comment...

2 comments:

Jen said...

I can't wait to read what you come up with - you know my vote is for the novel!

Selma said...

...a novel loosely based on your mami's life experiences would probably be a best seller...just sayin'...nobody would see it as a loving tribute to her perserviance and survival skills from your point of view.


Selma