Thursday, March 14, 2013

One Size Does NOT Fit All...

Okay - this entry isn't what you may expect.  It's about friendship.  Friends are like shoes (stay with me)... one style doesn't fit with every outfit.  When I go shopping for shoes (dress, athletic, casual), I tend to see what is the most universal.  The tennis shoes have to match everything and the dress shoes have to be black, navy, or brown.  What I've come to realize within the past couple of years is that I have my black casual shoes - it's okay to buy a pair that I may wear just once in a while.  Recently, I've had the same revelation about friendships.


When I was younger (even a few years ago), I didn't think I had a real friendship if a friend didn't fit that 'everything' mold.  If I couldn't tell them everything or if they didn't share the same opinions as me, it must be a bust.  I heard of other people's friendships and couldn't wrap my brain around these lasting friendships that I just didn't seem to have.  I recently saw the light (cue harp music and a spotlight on me from the heavens!) regarding adult friendships.

A good friend isn't someone who is your everything - they shouldn't be and it's unrealistic to expect it.  You can have your core friends (your comfy browns, navys, and black slip ons) but you can also have your friends that are on the perimeter for fun (your pink paisley wedges).  My favorites are the ones that you come across every once in a while and forget that you had them until you see them and realize how great they make you feel (your boots from college you can't seem to part with) - and they'll never be out of your rotation. Most of us even have those friends that we look back and claim temporary insanity (those would be the platform tennis shoes that light up!).  Some of my friends I can talk about elementary-high school, some to discuss books, some college, some old co-workers, some couple friends, some 'mom' friends, some PTA friends, some WW friends - each of them were brought into my life for different reasons (some small reasons and some life changing reasons) but all to teach something more about myself.


I'm very fortunate to have a closet full ... I mean a heart full of friends.  Although some of my friends have come out of the closet - but I digress.  Once I opened myself up to not putting my expectations at the unrealistic level, I realized I am surrounded by some great friends who are pretty amazing in their respective strengths.

No comments: