Friday, September 28, 2007

Legacies


First things first - this picture is of my beautiful niece, Elizabeth... she has me wrapped around her baby finger! She is wearing a little slip dress that my grandmother made in the late 60's for my cousin. It makes me so nostalgic to think of these delicate hand made things that came from a day when people used to take time and make things for people who meant something in their lives. I can't crochet, I can't sew, I'm not too good at needlepoint - but what I can do to pass on to the children in my family and from generations to come are my words. I feel like writing is my way of having a legacy that someone can tangibly pick up long after I am gone. They may not like the style and much like this slip dress, they may be noticeably worn, but it will be there from my mind, hands, and heart. Obviously, my son is my best contribution to this world and his wife will owe me a big thank you note one day (I'm totally not biased) - but by the time my grandchildren roll around he'll have his own spin on things. I welcome his strength and diversity of character - but my books will be a legacy without their own spin or opinion - exactly how I left them.
My Nana passed away in '92 and was not a wealthy woman. She would make or do anything for you because things of monetary value were not something she could offer. Her hands were severely arthritic, so later in her life, she was no longer able to crochet. It makes the things she was able to make so precious to me.
As she watches me everyday, I hope she realizes that no amount of money in the world could replace the handmade legacy she took the time, patience, and care to leave.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Geez...I am welling up from reading your most recent blog. What a great woman you are and many of us have so much that we can learn from you Stephi! This is why I am thankful that you are in my life as my nearest and dearest friend.

Love,
Me