Sunday, November 11, 2007

I'm a "REAL MOM"

Right now so many things are moving in the right direction. My books sold out at the book fair (20 copies), we're in for Barnes & Noble - the books are going to be sold in the stores, and I was chosen by All About Kids Magazine to be their "February Real Mom" for that section. It's all so awesome, but my brain feels like it's going to explode! I have 2 different articles that I'm writing that I need to do outlines for (seems easy, but not so much) and I'm going to 3 different elementary schools in November to speak/read about teamwork (again - isn't as easy as just picking up the book and reading it); plus I'm working against a deadline to submit a book proposal with an illustrator and I have a bump in the road toward finding an illustrator - but it's getting there. I will take this over no leads or promising feedback any day of the week - don't get me wrong; I am just constantly thinking/internally creating! I really love it, I just need to actually use my organizer and map out my time a little better. I also am itching to get back to some of my other picture book manuscripts and ideas to start submitting again. I submitted a chapter book that I've been working on for about 2 1/2 years and (after the 2ND revision from the editor and some revisions from experts... 7 and 9 year old mystery readers :) - but other than that haven't submitted anything in a while.

I am really excited about "All About Kids" because it will be a chance to get some things out there to other moms who try to work from home - which I do without the paycheck right now - who are balancing their schedule and their kids' and their husbands' and their housework. The deception some people have is that when you have one child (which I do) and stay home that you really aren't very busy - it's kind of insulting. With that logic - you aren't busy at all if you don't have children - does that make sense? It is totally granted that when you have 2,3,4 or more children that you worry that many more times and have that many more schedules to juggle - but you adjust accordingly, just like when you had one child and thought that was a crazy life. That's like someone who just had twins laughing at the person who had a single birth because their tired -why should they be tired with only one baby to take care of - do you get where I'm going with this? You can't expect someone to relate to your life because people can't put themselves in your shoes but so much - just like you can't put yourself in theirs... I've heard people saying you don't know what happens behind closed doors; true and by the same token, you have no idea what's truly going on in someones mind and heart or what baggage they have in their lives. I guess the bottom line is - I wish people tried to relate and understand and not judge.

This definitely turned into a little bit of a rant and a little heavy - sorry - my blog is just stream of consciousness sometimes ;) Check out All About Kids magazine online - very well put together and a great resource for parents! http://www.allaboutkidsmagazine.com

No comments: