Thursday, February 14, 2008

Grateful

I love Willow Tree Sculptures - especially because their titles are so short but meaningful. I think my favorite ones are "Peaceful" and "Grateful." I don't have grateful but it's on my list! Gratitude is something I forget about sometimes and get caught up in everything that's annoying me instead of focusing on what truly (at the core) makes me grateful. One of those things I was reminded of last night as my husband repeated our son's prayer for the night to me. When Parker prays with Chip, Chip encourages him to thank God for one specific thing from his day - yesterday he said he was grateful that he gets to see me. I was floored - he said he loves to see me because it makes him feel good. The reason it floored me was because he is an absolute daddy's boy - admires everything Chip! The fact that my boy sees me more than really anyone in his life (maybe a tie with his teacher now) and still gets happy when he sees me - that's what I'm most grateful for!

I am also grateful that I have a book that people are able to read... even people I don't know. That is my favorite thing about writing - I can reach people (if not with this book, hopefully with books and articles to come) that I don't even know. I love it when people talk to me about my words. I'm still a beginner in the grand scheme of things and I'm still so green in so many areas, but I'm very grateful for the occasional editors who take the time to give me feedback and edits rather than just rejections!

I guess I'm trying to focus on the things I can change rather than the things that I can't - (I've never been to an AA meeting, but I can absolutely respect the serenity prayer!). Who knows - hopefully it will help cushion the blow from some of the rejections...

No comments: