Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A Great Moment...


This past Saturday, I worked a VCU alumni event with the book and it was so much fun. There was a huge turn-out (I only sold one book, but a huge turnout at any rate). A DJ, prizes, BBQ, and alumni from a huge range of graduating classes and schools. It was so cool to have Parker enjoying the music and Rodney Ram (taking pictures and dancing with alumni) and loving telling people about the book. It was only topped off by the fact that it was Homecoming weekend at VCU. Because VCU doesn't have a football team, their game is basketball. I was able to be hooked up with tickets for the game so we went over after the event.

The game was so packed with excitement - people were lined up around the block (literally) 2 hours before the game. It was sold out pretty early on but black and gold and posters surrounded the outside of the pavillion. The three of us had our VCU garb on also - we fit right in! Parker doesn't usually go crazy at games - in fact, he loves to cheer for the opposite team for fun - I was really crossing my fingers that he would love the game... he did! He was so into it, it made it that much more fun - the Siegel Center was sold out and packed... both teams played well but VCU beat Towson by over 20 in the end. The best part of the whole night was after the game...
Our seats were right on the court and beside the opening to the Rams locker room. We were able to stand right by the opening to cheer on the players at the end of the game. Maynor, Shuler, Anderson ... they all stopped if a kid asked to talk to them or for a signing of a t-shirt. Very sweet with the fans and very humble. Best of all - one of the things I doubt I'll forget anytime soon - was Parker stepping into the opening after the players passed waiting to talk to Coach Grant. I have only met Coach Grant a couple of times and each time he was just as humble and strong of speech and character as you would imagine, but he just blows me away! To watch him on the court with the boys - just commanding everyone and they turned to him for guidance (not fear) throughout the game... and by the way - he wins games! Coach Grant bent over and got on one knee to listen. His team was waiting, some reporters were waiting, the director of athletics was waiting and he stopped to talk to my little 5 (and 1/2) year old so sweetly. He gave Parker a hug when they were finished and a pat on the back. I take pictures of everything - too many really - I had my camera in my pocket and I just couldn't stop watching this moment (that Parker will hopefully remember for a long time) of this amazing coach (saught after by big programs all over the country). I didn't want to run the risk of missing it trying to get my camera right and focused and not getting the picture in time. I was so excited and proud of Parker because that setting is definitely intimidating. That moment will definitely stay in my head for a long time - hopefully Coach Anthony Grant will be here for a long time, too!
Go Rams!

No comments: