Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Hoopstown, USA

I've written before (about 4 years ago as a matter of fact) about my pride for VCU basketball. I grew up on it on a much smaller scale. It wasn't a popular school - just a school in the city with really no campus - especially to those of us who grew up in Richmond, VA. When I chose to attend VCU, I realized quickly that there was a very pronounced and distinct campus which has only expanded more since my graduation in 1999. When I approached the VCU Sports Center about writing
a children's book commemorating the greatness of VCU and it's basketball team, I did run into some slight hesitation. To me it was a no brainer - the team was on an upswing, enrollment was at an all time high and the Siegel Center was a new center of pride for the Rams. The release of Rodney Ram Teaches Teamwork (2 years later) was such an accomplishment for me on so many levels. My love for Rams basketball has only grown over the past 4 years since the book's release. I thought it was at its peak when VCU beat Duke in the 2007 NCAA tournament - but that was nothing compared to what the whole city of Richmond feels right now. For the first time in VCU history, the Rams have made it to the sweet 16 of the NCAA tourney. Two things have totally become the icing on the cake - first, that U of R is also in the sweet 16 (collosal for Richmonders) and secondly that most sportscasters across the country didn't think we belonged in this tournament. We beat the first team just to get into the big dance - we were on the bubble and a part of the "extra games" just to make it to the starting line with everyone else. Down went USC, down went Georgetown, down went Purdue... Seminoles next? These haven't even been close games - 10-20 point games and I've loved every second of it! I bought my son a "We Are VCU" shirt during the CAA tournament this year and I'm so glad I did - he has just as much pride in the Rams as I do!
Here in Richmond, the Richmond Spiders and the VCU Rams have an annual match-up called the Black and Blue Classic... it's never been a tremendously popular game but I think this tournament is changing that forever. We are hoping for a Black and Blue Classic on a national scale in San Antonio this weekend in the Elite Eight...

Signing off from Hoopstown, USA - AKA Richmond, Virginia!

No comments: