Thursday, January 12, 2012

Meals on Wheels

Right after the holiday, I wanted to do a little something to step outside of myself. I dragged my son along with me and a teenage neighbor. On a rainy, icy day we drove down to our local Meals on Wheels center. I planned to drive but when we arrived, that's not where they needed help. I'm actually pretty grateful for the turn of events because we were able to instead help pack coolers and deliver to cars as they pulled up. This center was a well oiled machine of volunteers and few paid workers. There were several folks who had obviously been doing this for a while and had it down to a science. Even though newbies can slow down the flow, they were so welcoming to us and patient in explaining the science behind why they do things the way they do. Meals are stacked in the coolers in a particular way based upon the route and recipients. Checklists, numbered paddles, particular coolers, allergy restrictions, small meals, large meals, snacks - it's all so controlled. I look forward to helping again and knowing where the meals come from (even though there is a whole other working process at the food bank before it comes to the center) if I do drive a route, next time this info will be very pertinent.
One of the gentlemen we met - Jim - was such a character. He goes to the MOW center every morning and is a huge Green Bay Packers fan. Quintessentially grandfatherly, he enjoyed talking about the landmarks of Richmond he grew up with and how much it's changed. He also enjoyed talking to the boys about the Packers and how they are now "America's Team" taking the place of the Cowboys (his opinion - not mine :). He was such a sweet guy and you could tell he really enjoyed the company. People have different motivations for volunteering. I volunteer to remind myself that there is a big world that has nothing to do with my 'issues.' My mother volunteers to give back and be an advocate for what she believes in. Jim volunteers (from my observation) because it's his way of giving back to an organization who has given a lot to him and a nice social outlet. Some people may volunteer because of requirements through school or work. Whatever the reason, there are so many organizations that need help and manpower. Some are really involved and I know kind of a pain to get started with but some (like Meals on Wheels) accept people off the street with open arms and gratitude.

No comments: