Thursday, September 15, 2011

Teamwork



Since my book came out in 2007, school visits have become one of my favorite activities. I love watching the 'audience' respond to my words and the questions they come up with during the Q&A portion... When I still had signings lined up, I was so excited to see students from a visit come to get an autographed copy. I've had students tell me that they love the story and they wish they could play like Nate, and I've also had students remind me that I'm not famous - 'you only have one book!' It's not all pretty; Eh-hem, moving on...


Every spring I do a writing workshop with a group of 4th grade students at a local elementary school in preparation for an annual writing test. This year, one of the fourth grade teachers invited me to come in for a Fall visit and chat with her class about the importance of teamwork - I chose to leave the book out of it. What I did instead was focus on not only the importance of helping your teammates reach their potential, but the necessity of you (as a teammate) pulling your own weight. We also did an exercise close to my heart - we re-enacted a coffee line from a coffee house that I frequent (hint: it rhymes with Marbucks). We wore aprons and had a customer give his order - give it to the cashier who called the order to the person writing it on the cup who called it to the barista who called it to the customer once it was made. The demonstration illustrated the importance of communication and how essential it is for everyone in that line to bring their A-game or it would all fall apart and in theory make the company lose money. It was one of my favorite visits thus far and I hope to develop it further to share it in more classes - my thought is that this could be spread to other classrooms, board rooms, clubs, teams - the sky's the limit... for trademarking purposes, I'll leave 'Marbucks' name out of it.

No comments: